Sunday, June 15, 2014

Chester County, Pennsylvania -- Penns Woods Winery

I've been super excited about this post ever since visiting Penns Woods Winery a few weeks ago.   In fact we've already been back once.  This might be my new fave east coast winery, certainly my favorite here in the Brandywine Valley, which is a part of the Lancaster Valley AVA.  

Penns Woods produces about 3,000 cases a year and focuses mainly on vinifera wines.  Their cab franc is loaded with pepper, oak and smoke, just like I like.   Sarah loves their viognier.   The alcohol content of their reds is more of the old California style - 13 to 14% alcohol, which I like because I can drink more of it before falling over.   On my second trip I bought a bottle of their 2005 Ameritage blend and took it home.   I saved it for a few days (lol) and then broke it out for a steak dinner and was not disappointed!  It was fantastic right out of the bottle and had great acidity and spice, which if often lacking in local wines.



This winery has a fantastic setting with an old barn and a huge lawn for kids to play on.   Plenty of picnic benches and breeze, this is a fantastic place to spend your Saturday or Sunday afternoon.   Unlike a lot of wineries this one is very kid and family friendly.   You and yours can enjoy a bottle while they wear themselves out, all while looking out over their beautiful 20+ acre vineyard.




The staff is super friendly and as near as I can tell it's largely staffed by members of family.   On one of our two visits we saw the owner checking up on things as well.   When I find PA wine this good it encourages me to start growing my own (hobby only - not commercially!) given what the potential is.   If you're ever in the Wilmington/Philly area, I strongly encourage you to make a trip over to Penns Woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment