Friday, June 13, 2014

Linden, Virginia -- Linden Vineyards

Already miss this place...

This was one of our favorite wineries to visit when we lived in Virginia.  A winery that is as old as I am, both born in the early 1980s.  It appears to have aged better than I have though.

Sitting on abandoned hardscrabble (poor soil with harsh conditions) on the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains is where you will find Linden Vineyards and the beautiful views that is embraces.  The below picture is taken in February of the view from the back patio.


Linden's appeal is the tranquil environment that welcomes intimate and personal enjoyment.  Having visited a lot of wineries in the Virginia area, Linden was the first that I visited to inhibit large groups and wine bus tour groups.  A setting that is now becoming more and more popular at more and more wineries.  An intimate setting that I prefer.  

Don't be surprised if you bump into the owner or his dog while you are there.  Both are very friendly and while the owner is usually hard at work, his dog is often greeting you at your table on the patio.  

The scene inside the tasting room and back patio is just as intimate as the scene from windows.  During warmer days, the doors are open and the air is fresh.  



Not only is the environment exactly what I love in my visits to wineries but the wines are also some of best that I have had in Virginia.  Being a split couple (Ben loves reds and I drink whites) it is hard to find a winery that indulges both our preferences...but Linden always does.  I highly recommend the Seyval, and for something a little sweeter (but not to sweet), try the Riesling Vidal.  The Hardscrabble (named after the  land) is a red that is always a great combination of fruit and dryness.  To accompany the wines, Linden makes fresh bread and provides delicious meats and cheeses.


Ben -- before starting to taste some Linden wines.  Why the frown, Ben?


After tasting the wines at Linden and enjoying a glass on the patio...much better!


And, me enjoying my delicious Seyval and staying warm and cozy by the fireplace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment